Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Personal Statement for Musician's Institute

Please describe in detail any specialized training, employment, or other activities where you have gained experience in a field related to your program of interest.
I have gained experience from starting the foundation for our music club in high school. When I had first arrived as a freshman, I was just beginning to learn how to play guitar, my dad had bought me a guitar for my graduation from middle school. When I first got accepted into my high school, I immediately read from their website that they were mostly an academic school and there were no electives there, so that crossed out art and music for me. I thought it wasn’t going to be a big deal, but once I got there, it was a big deal. There were so many talented people who knew how to play instruments, they had been taking lessons since they were lyoung kids, but they were stuck in a school where they might not be able to show off their musical talent, and that made me mad. Sure, I wasn’t taking professional lessons and was only teaching myself, but at my new school, it made me sad that I wouldn’t be able to see people with immense backgrounds of music show what they have to offer. So when my school was asking for performers for an upcoming event, I brought guitars, a keyboard, and a drum set to school, where I recruited some people to perform alongside me. The teachers were extremely supportive that there were students who played instruments and most of them allowed us to use their room for practicing. A few times a week we practiced in whatever room we managed to find that day, and we played our song with an amazing vocalist and we even had an audience who would always be watching us. The performance was a success, and the next semester, the music club was formed.

What inspired you to pursue a career in the music/entertainment industry?
My inspiration to pursue a career the music industry was inspired by the music club at my school, when it first started, there were only a few people, but those few people became the foundation of the club, and it has stayed solid ever since. The music club became a big part of the school, and me because it was the only thing at school that I feel that I could actually exceed in. I’m not a very strong academic person, which I believe plays a part in why I want to have a career in the music industry, if I’m not strong academically, maybe I’m strong musically, and that’s what I relied on every time I dropped by for the music club meetings.

My first trip to a recording studio also helped inspire me to pursue a career in the music industry because, well, it’s a recording studio. It’s where music transforms from a piece of written lyrics to a song. It’s where the music I hear today comes from that little recording booth where everything is recorded, produced, and engineered to perfection. My trip to the recording studio was all in courtesy of a good friend of mine, Sean, who invited me to watch the recording of a new song that his band had written. I guess Sean could also be a reason why I want to pursue a career in the music industry, mostly because his job is in the music industry, and he was the one that first introduced me to songwriting, producing, and engineering, since his day job consists of that.

There is another person who inspired, sort of introduced my to music in the first place. In middle school, I was placed in a math class one grade ahead, and I met Xavier, who was one of the very few musically inclined students in the school, and he played guitar. He was one of the first people in our school to ever bring a guitar to school and he brought it for fun. That played a part for me in high school, because I was the first person in my school to bring instruments, and the ironic part with that is I didn’t know how to play any of them. I mean, I knew how to play them, but not well.

When I first started bringing the instruments, the thing that people kept telling me was, “Oh, this would look great on your college application.” It wasn’t about the college application that first made me want to bring the instruments, it was the fact that I could bring something more to an already good school, something more than just academic stuff.

Describe your career goals and expectations after you graduate from MI.
My career goals and expectations after Musician’s Institute is to probably find a studio where I plan on becoming a music producer or songwriter. But as far as I am concerned, my path after Musician’s Institute is still unclear only because I am still in that phase where I know which path to take, but I don’t know where it will end.

No comments:

Post a Comment