Thursday, February 17, 2011

Chinese Mothers

In an article by Amy Chua, she describes how she treats her daughter.
There are all these new books out there portraying Asian mothers as scheming, callous, overdriven people indifferent to their kids' true interests. For their part, many Chinese secretly believe that they care more about their children and are willing to sacrifice much more for them than Westerners, who seem perfectly content to let their children turn out badly. I think it's a misunderstanding on both sides. All decent parents want to do what's best for their children. The Chinese just have a totally different idea of how to do that.
This paragraph, I agree with. All parents want their best for children, but the Chinese do do it differently. I think that with the Chinese mothers, when they see that their child is number one, then they feel that they have done something for their development, which is true.

One thing I disagree though, is that they limit their creativity. If a child dislikes playing the piano, there is nothing they can do about it. They have to play, or else feel the wrath of their parents. Limiting a child's 'true interests' only stops their development and when they grow older, the only thing they'll know how to do is what their parents taught them: to be number one.

Asian mothers also think that if they're child is the 'number one', then they'll be superior in their future. Another thing that Asian mothers want their child to do: be a doctor or lawyer. That's prbably why they want them to get straight A's too. To get into the law school or medical school.

My parents for example, even though they're technically not that 'Asian', they want me to get a job that will be raking the bucks. I personally, dislike anything that makes big bucks. Because that only means that I hav eto go to school longer. And homework. They let me be myself. Because of that, I have shown my interest in the arts. Also meaning drawing, guitar, and yes, piano. Not piano much though.

No comments:

Post a Comment