Thursday, August 19, 2010

Odd Girl Out

A time that I was part of an alliane was a few years ago. Part of a group that was enemies with another group. There were a lot of hate words spread around. Mostly becausethe other group was composed of the typical group, the ones we hate, yet want to be at the same time, the popular kids.
My reaction, or 'feeling' to this was a 50/50 split. I knew that what we said about the other group was hurtful, but I and the other people with me knew when to stop for what we did. The other half was bad because we did say some hurtful things, and some of the sayings we did reached it's limit, if that means saying hurtful words in the language the target is used to.
I had two options for this situation. I could either have left the group or stayed, but I stayed.
People bully each other because it makes them feel powerful and strong. It also makes them somewhat popular because,say, Person A knows something about Person B that no one else knows about, then everyone will want to know.
What makes people want to bully each other is sort of the same as why people do it. To go up one more rung on that ladder and one more step higher than everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment