Saturday, October 30, 2010

Reflective Essay

~Hi. Mr. Sutherland, just to let you know, this isn't one of my best pieces. With this whole week being crazy, my brain is dead.~
-After I have written this, I realize that I am repetitive and my coherence is horrible. Please bear with it.-

Throughout this whole blogging thing, I have learned so many new things about my writing. Last year, I was still trying to discover whether or not I had a knack for it, and right now, I still don't know. There are many things that inspire me to write, and most of what inspires me helps me write the posts are the ones that turn out to be my favorites.

There are many things that I have learned from writing these posts. One is that I am a comic book-movie geek, I get too obsessed with TV Shows, and I have this weird thing with Friday Night Lights and Scott Porter, which to some people sounds weird, but I don't know. Which leads me to my next blurb, my inspiration. One of my first posts was ultimately, the building block to the rest of my posts, Pretty Little Liars vs. Huge. The reason for that is because, it served as the building block for my free poaboutsts, my inspiration for them were what caught my eye, literally, today. all those TV shows and what not. It wasn't just TV shows either, there was one of my posts, What happened to our teenage movies?, that I thought people would have thought of writing about, but didn't. How this inspired me was that movies these days were turning out horribly. The only thing I wanted to do was blog about it:
 "Now, one thing that they all have in common is one thing: Grasping the teenage population with their finger. With these movies and TV shows that are broadcast to us, I start to wonder whether or not the people that watch them ever get tired of seeing the same people on their screens. I mean, back in the day, the ‘heartthrobs’ had distinct features that made them who they are. Now, all the males have the same attractive eyes, most of them the same skin tone, and all of them with that mop of hair.
This quote from the teen movies post, showed how far I went as a writer, from my knock-off of Twilight novel in 8th grade, to now, where I actually know how to place my words and make it sound actually legible.
I guess, this is the one sentence that really stood out to me out of all my posts. I actually worked on this and made sure that what I put in those sentences made sense and worked well with the coherence of the post.

One of my favorite posts was response post to Karissa.  In that post, she talked about all the Disney stars and why Disney makes them all sing. I was really proud of this post because it was one of my first response posts, and I actually worked on it. It also related to almost all of the posts that I had written about. TV shows and that stuff:
I guess Disney and us too are just growing up too fast to notice that we miss the classics. I personally miss Phil of the Future.
This quote doesn't say much obviously, but I'm just relating this to my writing. As I learn and progress more, I don't realize how far I get with my writing. As I mentioned above, my writing skills have grown with the more that I learn every single day.

While still on this quote, I chose this one to post up because I do miss my classic shows, and I do miss Phil of the Future and Zoey 101. Zoey 101, was the first show that I could recall, canceled because the main character got pregnant. I can't blame her. She is Britney Spears' sister after all. These shows were the ones that really taught me about life in general, whereas the new shows these days are just echoing them. Which I think is just stupid. The shows these days just don't live up to my expectations as before. And I can predict that in the future, the kids that are only like 6 or 7 are going to say the same about the shows these days too. Of how they're going to miss the 'classics' like Hannah Montana or The Suite Life on Deck. The Suite Life on Deck isn't that good. The original The Suite Life of Zack and Cody was more adventurous and it was funny. Not the new one.

My least favorite post was the response that I had to Tiffany and Amber G. The reason why I didn't like it that much was because it was just bleh. Half of the word count from that came from the quotes itself, and I just didn't like it. It was a brain dump to me. Also, as of right now, that post is the worst possible thing to happen to me, that and Day 2(which I will not post a link to).

To sum this all up, most of my inspiration comes from what my old middle school counselor would say, "where a normal teenager would be right now." Yes, that means movies and Harry Potter and Pretty Little Liars. Of my least and favorite posts, it really says a lot about who I am. Re-reading these posts again even only after a few months, I get flashbacks to Ms.Valdez' class last year and I realize that I did use some of what she taught us in my writing. (Even though I never really did get good grades on her essays). This is going to sound corny, but my inspiration comes from the life that I am living right now, even with the response posts, I use some of what happens to me to respond to those posts. The blog posts have helped me expand as a writer and I'm getting better at writing too. (right now, I came up with an idea to write a novel that's good, unlike my old one. The Twilight knock-off with my made up super-humans that are called 'tempermentals' that I wrote 5 chapters too, and used the last chapter in my portfolio for ASTI) Oops. Run-on. Still have some writing flaws.

No comments:

Post a Comment